Nurses tend to gravitate towards other nurses. One thing is for sure, when you work 12, 13, and 14 hour shifts with the same people at least 3 days a week, we get very close to the people that we work with. There are probably a millions reasons why I love the fact that my best friend is also a nurse, but here are the top six reasons. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways…
1. They always have medicine on hand. Whatever your issue is, they will a remedy. Have a headache? They will have Motrin, and they will not try to waste your time with a measly 200mg. They will ask you if you take 600mg or 800mg. They do not play around. Have an upset stomach? Have heartburn? Nauseated? They have just the thing…
2. They know what it’s like to work hard. Since they are also a nurse, they know what it’s like to work really, really hard. They understand the physical and emotional drain of patient care, and they understand the trials and tribulations of nursing administration. We’re all trying to do the best we can, the most we can, in the shortest amount of time possible while pleasing everyone in a 100 yard radius.
3. They don’t get grossed out easily. Nurses aren’t typically the people that can leave stuff alone. If you have something on your skin they will want to pop it/lance it/squeeze it/dig it out and then swipe an alcohol pad over it and tell you it will all be okay. Have something in a hard-to-reach place? Your BFF will go there!
4. They are your second opinion. When you’re trying to decide what is wrong with you, or with someone in your family, you can talk it out with your best friend until you both come up with a diagnosis. Then you can decide how you’ll treat it! If you have some bizarre theory of what it could be, they can talk sense into you. They will even be the voice of reason when it really is time to go see a doctor.
5. They know how to have a good time. I’m not saying that most nurses like to drink, I’m just saying that they really like limes and grapes. They also don’t judge, so if you want to drink from 4pm-9pm while your family is out of town, they’re game! Not a drinker?! You don’t have to be to have a good time when you’re with a nurse. You can spend hours at dinner talking about the weird/crazy/amazing stuff that happened at work that week.
6. They will switch days when you really need help. In times of desperation, they will switch days with you when you’ve exhausted all of your options. Whether you just need them to work a couple of hours, or if you need to switch an entire day, you know they’ll always help you out (because you would do the same for them).