The most common things I hear as a Preop/Pacu nurse.
1. I’m allergic to Morphine. It makes me sleepy.
2. I’m allergic to Phenergan. It makes me have nausea and vomiting. (Even though I was throwing up already when I took it)
3. I’m allergic to every pain medicine except Dilaudid. They all make me have N/V…thereby making sure we give them the one they really wanted.
4. It continues to amaze me how many people don’t know that Ibuprofen is the same as Motrin/Advil. Or that think Aleve is the same as Ibuprofen, Motrin and Advil. Or that Tylenol and Acetaminophen are the same.
5. One day, when I still worked on the floor, a frantic mother called me to the bedside as my peds patient kept saying he couldn’t breathe. His lungs were clear bilaterally and he was taking good, deep breaths and his sats were 100% on room air. So I asked him if he thought there was anything I could do to make it better….
“If I had some chocolate milk, I could breathe better”…..and it worked. Who knew chocolate milk would help dyspnea?