Home Forums Mighty RNs CAN AN RN BE A FREELANCE?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of CristyGerald CristyGerald 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 12 total)
  • Author
  • #103223
    Profile photo of

    Hello, I am an RN, BSN working on Home Health Care for eight years. I currently take class to get certified in Lymphedema and Wound Care. I like what I do, but I’ve been working all this time for agencies. I wonder if I can work independently, where I look for customers and billing to Medicare by myself. I do not know if this is possible. Someone can help me on this? I would appreciate any related information.
    Thank you

    Profile photo of CristyGerald

    Hi, yes you can be a freelancer as an RN; however I would contact your state nursing board if there are any special requirements regarding that. I would also contact the nursing agencies as well. You would file taxes as a schedule C for the IRS if you work as an independent contractor and I think the agency that you would work for would give you a 1099 tax form as well. You can do research on a search engine on your computer on “how to be a freelancer as an RN” and that would tell you a lot of things that you would need to know. I wish you the best.

    Profile photo of

    Thanks Cristy, I am currently a nurse who work as independent contractor for a home health care agency, I am not an employee, I do my own taxes. But I wanted to know if I can do this work independently, without being under the precepts of an agency. What I’m trying to figure out is whether I can find my own clients and make the billing for myself.
    You know anything about that?

    Profile photo of Howard43

    I am a contracted RN assistant clinical director that specializes in IVIG infusions. I work with Infusion of Care, Inc., a company that obtains contracts with specialty pharmacies that provide IVIG. RN’s do home IVIG infusions under the contracted pharmacy’s home infusion license. It requires a minimum of 5 years of critical care experience in the ICU or the ER environment. The contract reimbursement is between $50 and $70 per hour depending on the state. RN contractors will receive an IRS form 1099 each year. It is suggested that you consult a CPA to understand how self employment will affect your particular tax situation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar